** GUEST POST**
Introducing my gorgeous husband Leigh, the best red meat and breakfast cook in the house! Here is his ‘guest post’ …
I never much cared for veggies as a kid; I blame an over sensitivity to 6-npropylthioracil (the bitter taste in veges); but as an adult; I’m loving them.
Now my beautiful wife (ed: awwwwe shucks) started the idea of a veggie pizza (AKA pizzatta – it’s in her cookbook… which if you haven’t got yet she has on sale this week for her birthday), so I thought I would have a go… and being a male, it would have to include Bacon…..mmmm Bacon…. I made it up from stuff lying around. Lucky for me, there always tends to be a lot of ‘stuff’ lying around… enjoy…
Leigh's vegetable pizza
- 2 Zucchinis
- 200g pumpkin
- 3 kale leaves (stems removed)
- 2 x ¼ cup Grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ Red Onion
- 2-3 Rashers of bacon
- 1 egg
- 2 tbs Macadamia or Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Liquid Smoke (optional)
- 1 tbs Coconut Amino BBQ sauce/Tamari.
- 1 tbs Sri Lankan Coconut spice blend.
- Salt & Pepper to taste. (approx 1tsp each)
- Coarsely shred the vegetables and cheese (Spiralise, Mandolin or use julienne peeler)
- Chop the Kale and Bacon into medium sized pieces... because they are about to be friends.
- Beat an egg and toss remaining ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
- Refrigerate for a couple of hours if you have the time (if you do this don't add the salt until later).
- Oil a non stick pan and spread to cover whole pan.
- Spread a little more parmesan over the top
- Roast in oven at 220C for about 20 minutes or until nicely browned.
Egg on a veggie pizza – the best way to eat it!!
yummo! Any suggestions as to what I could substitute the cheese for (non-dairy)? Thanks!
Great question Ashleigh, I’ve made my version without it. You could try nutritional yeast!