Welcome to my new series highlighting the different essential oils you can cook with together with a whole host of other uses and therapeutic benefits.
The first in this series is the humble lemon essential oil. Lemon oil is one of the most amazingly versatile essential oils. It is also one of the cheapest (YAY) and most popular – probably for these 2 reasons! The benefits of lemon oil come mostly from the d-limonene which comes from the lemon peel.
If you are interested in where and how doTERRA’s lemon essential oil is harvested, check out this little video:
Benefits of lemon essential oil
- cleansing agent – for bodies and surfaces!
- cleanses the body and aids with digestion
- promotes a positive mood
- enhances flavours in food – sweet and savoury
- supports healthy respiratory function
- quenches thirst
- promotes fresh breath
- promotes weight loss
- rejuvenates the skin
- helps reduce stress
Uses of lemon oil
Ways to cook with it:
- add a few drops to your water bottle, shake and sip throughout the day
- add to hot water in the morning to make a detoxing tea (can also add 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, 1/4 tsp turmeric and honey to taste)
- add to hot water with honey to hot water to soothe a sore throat
- make lemon bliss balls
- try this citrus essential oil cake
- add to marinades & salad dressings
- goes well with roast chicken – try this recipe
- basically you can use a few drops anywhere you would usually add lemon juice – or add as well as the lemon juice to really add a fresh burst of flavour!
Around the house:
- add to a spray bottle of water to clean tables, countertops
- add a few drops to olive oil and use it to polish wooden furniture
- use a cloth soaked in lemon oil to preserve and protect your leather furniture and other leather surfaces or garments
- Lemon oil is a great remedy for the early stages of tarnish on silver and other metals.
- sprinkle your kitchen or laundry sink with a tablespoon of bicarb soda, add a few drops of lemon oil and scrub for a clean and shiny finish
- diffuse to create an uplifting mood in the house
- easy to use as a chemical free ingredient in many homemade cleaning products
- add a few drops in with your laundry detergent for fresh smelling clothes
- add a few drops to the rinseaid section in your dishwasher for sparkling glasses
- use in homemade candles, soaps and skin care
For more ideas and information about research into the benefits of lemon oil, check out this article from Dr Josh Axe.
Lemon Essential Oil as I said before is one of the most versatile of the oils. I have a bottle that lives in my laundry and one in my kitchen.
Want to get started with essential oils?
To buy Annabel’s top 6 essential oils for cooking as a personalised kit of oils, please contact me directly by email, email@example.com. They can be purchased as a personalised kit retail at AU$243.34 + shipping or wholesale for AU$217.50 + shipping (including wholesale membership worth $35 and then you can buy every other doTERRA oil/product at wholesale prices). doTERRA essential oils can be purchased from most parts of the world, contact me for more info.
If you want to mix and match to suit your cooking needs, please ask me to quote on a personalised package for you.
The lemon essential oil is also in several of the doTERRA starter kits which already includes the $35 membership fee making them fabulous value. If you aren’t sure what will best suit your needs, please get in touch with me, I’m happy to help get you started in whichever way best suits you.
* If you buy doTERRA essential oils either retail or wholesale through me, I receive a commission. Thanks for your support, it’s very much appreciated.