UPDATED NOV 2017 Men use essential oils too!
I am not a man. Hopefully that’s obvious. I am however married to one and have 3 in the making in my household (9, 11 & 14), so my household is very yang.
See, we can’t even get a ‘sensible’ family photo:
High energy, lots of ‘discussion’ (physical and verbal), testosterone all over the place. I have one room that allowed to be ‘girlie’ (my office) but the rest is overtaken by the male members of the family. I rarely get to choose the movie! I like to think that I have positive female influence in my household and one way I’m having this is through the use of essential oils.
I’ve never really been a ‘smell’ person. Leigh is. He has always had a more sensitive sense of smell and has been the one that has sought those smelly incense sticks and candles. I’ve never really liked them, they make me feel a bit sick. I used to put essential oils into the same category, I just thought they were smelly hippy things. Now I know differently. Now I know that they are used for many many more things than smells (+ I’ve worked out I LIKE their smells because they are clean, pure smells, not chemical or artificial ‘fragrances’…. more more on that topic see this article).
Essential oils can be used therapeutically to support health and wellness physically and emotionally. You can also cook with them, hello, can you see my interest?! Inspiring Wellness is my mission, so doTERRA essential oils fall right up my alley (or into my kitchen) so to speak.
Let me share with you how my men (& men in the making) are using essential oils and which ones in particular they love.
My Man’s Favourite doTERRA Essential Oils & Ways to Use them
- Leigh loves smells as I said before, he loves it when the diffuser is on at home – particularly with earthy/woody oils eg Cedarwood with lemongrass, white fir, Balance and his all time favourite is Hawaiian Sandalwood. He also has a diffuser in his office and he has a key chain with his favourite oils to diffuse at work. (BTW essential oils are great if you have a stressful workplace to diffuse as many can help create a calm environment).
- Update: His current favourite oil to use as a cologne is Manuka – smells a bit leathery. He mixes his own little concoction most mornings standing at the oil box!
- As a facial moisturiser. Gone are the days where men don’t look after their skin. Leigh uses the Salubelle (has gorgeous oils like Frankincense, Sandalwood and Helichyrsum) mixed with a carrier oil (jojoba or fractionated coconut oil) as his facial moisturiser. He loves the smell and the feel. This is part of the anti-aging range as yes, he is worried about wrinkles!
- In food – whilst I do most of the cooking, Leigh loves the ‘burst of flavour’ that cooking with essential oils adds to food. His favourite is peppermint in his choc-mint bliss balls.
- He’s used OnGuard, oregano and easy air with the winter bugs going around. Even last night he wasn’t feeling well and asked me to make him up something with the oils. I made him a capsule to take with On Guard, Oregano, Cinnamon & Copaiba. Feeling better this morning- made him another. He finds this immune boost helps on those odd days he doesn’t feel well.
- Leigh also takes the Life Long Vitality supplements for cellular health, energy and … vitality!
My Men in the Making: How they use doTERRA Essential Oils
My boys have mixed feelings about the oils. Some are more receptive than others. The youngest is the most keen. All have used them, benefited from them and all breathe them in at home and have them applied to their bodies in some way whether they like it or not! Here are a few of the ways I use the oils with the boys:
- Balance – I use to diffuse in the afternoons to reign in the craziness and I wear it like a perfume to calm myself down!
- In Tune is going on their wrists and back of their necks before they go to school to help with focus.
- I’ve rubbed Digestzen on a belly or 2 to help with various occasional digestive complaints eg bloating, constipation, gas.
- Peppermint has got rid of hiccups.
- Purify or lemon has been diffused to get rid of ‘boy smell’ in their rooms.
- To help fall asleep – I make a sleep spray that Charlie says ‘smells like sleep’ – recipe below.
- On Guard to build immunity with all the winter bugs going around – none of them have been very sick. One has had a slight cold and used Easy Air as a natural ‘vicks’ alternative.
- Ice Blue Rub applied as a cool and comforting massage.
- I have used an immune blend to help manage moloscum contagium – when used consistently (hehe that’s the key!) it’s helping a lot.
- The teenager in the house takes a 1/4 does of the Life Long Vitality pack of supplements.
Charlie recently wanted to make kids blend names we use a bit more ‘kid friendly’ and then he wanted to design a kids crossword… so here you go! Click on the image to go to the crossword!
Other popular male essential oil products
- If you’re a hipster/facial hair type, the root to tip hair serum is meant to be fabulous. It’s on my next order for my hair (not facial!).
- Ice blue oil and the ice blue rub are very popular with sporty/manual working types as it’s very cool and soothing before and after exercise on your muscles. It’s often actually called the ‘man converter’! It’s main ingredients include Wintergreen, Camphor, Peppermint, Blue Tansy oils.
Want to buy doTERRA essential oils?
By far the best way to buy the oils is to open a wholesale account, it works similarly to Costco in that you pay a wholesale membership fee and then buy everything at wholesale prices (25% off). The membership costs $35 when putting together a custom kit or is included in the dōTERRA enrolment kits . There is more info on this on my website at www.whatannabelcooks.com/
The other wholesale option is to put together a personalised kit. This way you pay the $35 membership fee then buy the individual oils you’re after eg the oils mentioned above. Here is the complete price list. Just look at the wholesale column.
As a wholesale member (Wellness Advocate), you’ll enjoy:
Here is a suggested custom collection:
If you haven’t become a member yet and you want to take advantage of the discounts and open a wholesale account, this is what you need to do:
- If you are from outside Australia or Amercia, you can still buy from doTERRA, just contact me for the best way to buy.
- Call me, tell me what you want to do and I can do all the paperwork for you OR
- Go to http://mydoterra.com/whatannabelcooks
- Click the tab ‘Join & Save’
- Choose the OTG local warehouse (unless you are in the USA)
- Choose Wellness Advocate option (more options for you down the track)
- Choose the kit you want or choose the $35 enrollment option & then type in the names of the oils you want. Here are the kits to choose from.
- Follow the prompts.
- Wait with anticipation for them to arrive!
➕ I will send you a special welcome pack and education to help you learn how to use your oils.
➕ I will give you a 1 on 1 wellness consult to help you get the most out of your oils & support your wellness goals
➕you get to join my VIP Facebook group for extra info and support.
❌ no ongoing/regular purchases required.
❌ no requirement to sell anything.
🌻Please send me a message to let me know you’ve bought the pack so I can send you the welcome pack and get you started.
Leave a Reply