Over the next few weeks I’m going to do a series on ‘Back to Basics’ – some of my favourite kitchen staples that I make on a very regular basis – like this homemade pizza sauce!
Now I don’t actually eat pizza but my boys do, pretty much every Friday night for Friday Fun Night. I make the dough for the bases in the Thermomix, usually out of spelt flour as whilst it’s not gluten free, it is lower in gluten and the rest of the family really like it. This homemade pizza sauce is rich, tasty and without all the preservatives and added flavours that many of the pre made supermarket ones have. Just make sure you buy passata or tinned tomatoes that are just tomato.
You can of course use the sauce for non pizza related things like adding to bolognaise, tossing zucchini noodles in etc. I actually make my own version of ‘pizza’…. well actually it wasn’t pizza at all, but I roasted some small sweet potatoes, added the pizza sauce, some bacon, and parmesan, baked it some more to melt the cheese and added some spinach leaves for a token green vegetable!
Anyway, to make the pizza sauce I use the Thermomix, but you could make it in a saucepan and let it all simmer for about 20 mins. You could then blend it to make it smooth or just leave it a little bit chunky.
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 red or brown onion
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 Tbs coconut aminos or 1 Tbsp Tamari or soy sauce (not GF)
- 1 jar passata or 2 tinned tinned tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp dried Italian herb mix - I use this Herb & Garlic one
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In the Thermomix, blitz garlic sp8/3 sec.
- Add onion and chop sp5/7sec.
- Add oil and sautee for 3 min/100C9sp1 (cap removed)
- Add all remaining ingredients. Blend sp9/8-10sec or until smooth.
- Leaving the cap off, add the basket on top to prevent splatters.
- Cook for 20 min/100C/sp 2.