Apple slice/pie/crumble will always trump a chocolate dessert for me. Maybe it’s the cinnamon, the nuts or even the apple. It’s not overly sweet. I used to love just a baked apple, core removed and stuffed with sultanas baked in the oven… hmmm, will have to post that one day! I made a slightly different version of this a few weeks ago based on a dessert my sister-in-law invented when I caught up with them in Orange recently. This is now refined, a little less sweet than my previous attempt (which had dates in the base too) so I’m happy to share the recipe with you. If you’re craving apple pie but want a healthier version give this healthy apple slice recipe a go.
Healthy Apple Slice Recipe
- 2 cups mixed nuts & seeds
- 2 drops cinnamon essential oil or 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup coconut oil – melted
- 8-10 medjool dates (seeds removed)
- 1/2-3/4 cup coconut cream
- 3 large apples
- 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1-2 Tbsp extra coconut oil or butter to brush top
- extra sprinkle of cinnamon
Directions – Base
- Blitz nuts & seeds in your blender/thermomix/food processor until bread crumb consistency.
- Pulse through the remaining ingredients. You may need to add a tablespoon of water too until it starts to hold together a little.
- Press mixture into a lined slice tin and bake in the oven 160C (fan forced) for 10 mins.
While the base is in the oven, peel and thinly slice the apples.
Place coconut cream and dates in your blender/thermomix/food processor (don’t even worry about cleaning it, that way you get any left over crumbs). Pulse until either it forms a paste or the dates are chopped into chunks and mixed through the coconut cream.
- Once the base has come out of the oven you can layer 1 layer of sliced apples on top of the base. Then drizzle a little maple syrup over the apples.
- Spread the date/coconut cream mix over the apples.
- Add another layer of apples over the top.
- Add another drizzle of maple syrup then brush the tops of the apple
- Add a little extra cinnamon oil or powder to the melted butter or extra coconut oil then brush over the apples.
- Return to the oven and bake for 30-40min until apples are golden.
Can be eaten warm or cold!
It looks so tasty!!! I will definitely try this. Thanks for sharing the recipe
Love to know how you get along when you try this one. I love apple anything! Stay tuned as I have another apple recipe coming soon.