In winter a great way to get your greens (& veggies in general) is to make soup. This is a basic but yummy kale & sweet potato soup that you really can make your own by adding different vegetables, blending or not, you could add cream or coconut cream for a really cream consistency. You could also bulk it up by adding shredded chicken. So many fabulous winter warming options.
Kale & Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 onion – red or brown –
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 large/2 small-medium sweet potatoes – peeled and roughly chopped.
- 3-4 large kale leaves, stems removed and shredded
- 1 carrot
- 1-2 celery stalks
- 500-750ml chicken stock
- cream/coconut cream for blending (optional)
- 1-2 drops doTERRA thyme essential oil or few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1-2 drops doTERRA black pepper essential oil (or ground pepper to season)
- shredded bacon for decoration
- Roughly chop all vegetables.
- In a large stock pot heat a few tablespoons of oil (I usually use macadamia oil). Saute onion and garlic for a few minutes.
- Add vegetables (NOT kale yet) and toss in oil, stirring for a few minutes.
- Add stock, cover. Bring to the boil then simmer for about 40 mins or until all the vegetables are nice and tender.
- Add kale and cook for a few more minutes.
- Blend the soup in a blender/Thermomix/stick blender until smooth. You can always add more stock/water or cream if you want a thinner soup. Season with essential oils, salt & pepper.
- Serve with cooked shredded bacon and a drizzle of pumpkin seed oil if you have it.