Here in Brisbane once it hits below 24C the long boots & jackets come out and so do the slow cookers and soup recipes! It’s such a short ‘winter’ here that all those hearty warming wintery things have to come out the second the humidity goes just to feel like there’s a little bit of ‘winter’ to enjoy! And so it was yesterday when clad in leggings, boots and a cardie I made my first soup for the season, this sweet and creamy coconut pumpkin soup. It was also my first ever soup in the Thermomix. Don’t stop reading now if you’re not a Thermomix person as I’ll add a stove top version too….
Coconut Pumpkin soup
- 1/3 jap pumpkin – peeled and diced into cubes
- 1 onion
- 2 rashers bacon
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp chicken stock concentrate
- 1 can coconut milk
- Place onion, garlic & bacon in bowl. Chop for 3 seconds/ speed 7.
- Add 1 Tbsp oil and cook 4 mins/ Varoma/ Stir.
- Add remaining ingredients (except coconut milk). Cook 20 mins/ 100C / Stir.
- Check pumpkin is tender – if not cook for a few more minutes.
- If cooked, blitz for 10 seconds / speed 9.
- Add coconut milk. Blitz again for 5 seconds/speed 9.
- Peel and dice onion, garlic & bacon.
- Heat large saucepan/saute pan over med-high heat.
- Add 1 Tbsp oil, add onion, garlic & bacon. Saute, stirring for a few minutes.
- Add chicken stock concentrate and turmeric, stir.
- Add pumpkin & chicken stock. Bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 20 mins or until pumpkin is tender.
- Cool slightly.
- Blend in blender or with stick blender until smooth.
- Add coconut milk and blend again until smooth.
Leave a Reply