Pulled pork has been a fav of mine for a while, I have loved Irena Macri’s recipe in this post, but with the purchase of a new pressure cooker, it was time for a new pulled pork recipe – I decided to keep it simple with tried and true combinations, so this is very easy recipe that anyone can try. If you don’t have a pressure cooker just allow more time and cook it in a slow cooker or slowly in the oven.
Here in Australia it’s getting dark by dinner time so it’s getting harder to take photos of food just after it’s cooked! So these photos aren’t brilliant as they are taken the day after when I had leftovers for lunch with some english spinach leaves. We ate it for dinner with broccoli ‘rice’ and the rest of my family ate it with regular rice too.
- 1.5 kg pork neck/collar butt
- knob of ginger - grated
- 2 cloves of garlic - chopped/grated
- ½ lime - juiced
- ¼ cup Tamari/coconut aminos
- 2 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2T maple syrup (optional)
- oil for searing
- Cut pork into 2-3 large chunks.
- Sear pork in your pressure cooker or slow cooker if you can. If you can't you can sear in a pan first or just omit this step altogether.
- Mix all marinade ingredients in a bowl or jug.
- Pour marinade over the pork in the cooker.
- For pressure cooker - cook on medium pressure for 1hr.
- For slow cooker - cook for 4-5 hours on low or until very tender.
- Once cooked remove the pork from the liquid and shred/pull apart. You can then put it back into the sauce or just serve the pork and pour the sauce over the top.