I’ve just had my Mum staying for a few days – visiting for Grandparents Day and end of term events at school. Salmon is one of her favourite meals (and mine), so for our family dinner I thought I’d fancy it up a bit serving it on a bed of zucchini spaghetti & topping it with hollandaise sauce. We had a side of smashed potatoes and a simple garden salad. So fresh and healthy and, as we tell the kids, salmon is great ‘brain food’. Enjoy!
Salmon – my husband BBQ’d the salmon but you could also pan-fry, bake or steam.
Hollandaise Sauce (this is based on the Masterchef recipe found here)
- 125g Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- extra lemon juice, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Process yolk and juice in a food processor (I used my Bamix stick blender) until well combined.
- With the motor running, slowly pour in 1-2 tablespoons of butter at a time, processing for 30 seconds between additions.
- Season the hollandaise sauce with extra lemon juice, salt and pepper, to taste.
Hints: Hollandaise Sauce can be kept for up to 2 weeks, refrigerated in a sealed jar. Rewarm in the microwave on Medium Low stirring every 30 seconds, do not overheat or the mixture will split.
- 1 kg brushed potatoes peeled and roughly quartered
- few Tbsp oil (I use macadamia)
- sea salt
- Peel and chop the potatoes roughly into quarters (depending on the size of the potato)
- Put into saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to simmer on the stove and cook until the potatoes are just soft.
- Strain and spread out on a large baking tray. Let them cool for a few minutes.
- ‘Smash’ or squash the potatoes with either a fork or the back of a spoon.
- Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Roast in oven at 200C for about 30 mins until brown and crispy turning or tossing part way through the cooking.
Zucchini Spaghetti – see previous post (I didn’t use bacon or silverbeet in this one though – just the zucchini)
- English Spinach leaves
- Sunflower sprouts
- 1/2 punnet halved cherry tomatoes
- 1-2 Julienned carrots
- 1 Julienned beetroot
- 2-3 Tbsp persian feta
Toss all the ingredients and top with a dressing of your choice. Mine last night was olive oil (from the persian feta pot), lemon juice, garlic (1 clove grated), mango caramelised balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.