Just in case you were begin to think that all I’ve been cooking lately is rocky road and sweet treats, here’s a savoury side salad perfect for any time of year but especially good for Christmas because of the colours! Great either warm or cold. For a paleo or dairy free option, just omit the fetta, simple! The beetroot tasted AMAZING roasted in coconut oil but you could also use macadamia oil.
- 1-2 large beetroot, peeled and cut into segments
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 2 Tbsp chopped pistachios
- fetta to sprinkle (optional)
- Toss the peeled and segmented beetroot in oil, spread on an oven tray covered in baking paper and sprinkle with salt.
- Roast in the oven at 190C/375F for about 40 mins until tender and starting to be a little bit crispy around the edges. You may need to toss or turn once.
- If serving warm, wait until the beetroot is cooked then simmer the broccolini in water on the stove for a few mins until starting to soften but don’t overcook or it will lose it’s green-ness. If serving cold, you can pre-cook the broccolini just make sure you really cool it down quickly after cooking.
- Drain broccolini and rinse under cool water.
- To serve spread the broccolini on the platter, top with beetroot and sprinkle with fetta and pistachios.
Here it is without the fetta, ie the paleo/DF option: