I have been promising this Gluten Free Spiced Apple Tart Recipe for months now, so I do apologise it’s appearing at the end of apple season. The good news is that it will work with stone fruit or banana’s too on top I imagine. I haven’t tried it yet replacing the dairy with coconut cream/oil but I suspect it would work fine that way too (I think I’d reduce the quantity of coconut oil though). Let me know if you try it dairy free and how it goes!
It can be made ahead of time or prepared ahead of time and frozen too. The recipe was inspired by the base from the Gluten Free Baked Cheesecake recipe
Gluten Free Spiced Apple Tart Recipe
- 125g butter, softened
- ⅓ cup caster sugar
- 2½ cups almond meal or other nut meal – I used a combination of almonds and walnuts
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg, plus extra egg yolk
- ⅓ cup pure cream
- 1 drop Cinnamon Essential Oil (doTERRA) or 1/2-1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 drop Cardamom Essential Oil (doTERRA) or 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 drop Ginger Essential Oil (doTERRA) or 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 apple – cored and sliced (peeling optional)
- cinnamon sugar to sprinkle
- Place butter, sugar, nut meal, baking powder & spices in a food processor/Thermomix. Pulse until mix resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and cream, then add to mixture with processor running.
- When mixture forms clumps, tip into a large bowl and form a ball. The mixture for me was still a little ‘wet’.
- Divide into 2 and press into disc shapes. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for a couple of hours.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Take first disc out and roll it out with a rolling pin under plastic or baking paper – it’s a little sticky. Then place in base of well greased 23cm springform tin and press into place. Place the slices on the tart and sprinkle with a little cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for about 25 mins – until brown but not burnt!
- Save the 2nd disc for another time (it keeps well in the freezer for ages) and make a second one or turn it into little biscuits.
- Only use essential oils in cooking if you know that they are safe for internal use. If you’d like help to order doTERRA essential oils, please send me a message or follow the instructions here.