Baked sweet potato comes in many forms. If you’ve followed me for a while you’ll know how much I love sweet potato so I’m always keen for a new variation! I almost don’t even really think of this one as a ‘recipe’ as it’s so easy. It was inspired by a recipe from one of Yotam Ottolenghi’s cookbooks so I guess if it’s good enough for Ottolenghi, it’s good enough for me! You could make this with cream as Ottolenghi does but for a totally delicious dairy free option use coconut cream.
- 2-3 large sweet potatoes (or as many to fill your dish, mine was fairly large)
- 1-2 garlic cloves - crushed
- 1 bunch coriander or herb of your choice
- 300ml can of coconut cream
- Using a mandolin cut your sweet potato into discs roughly 3-5 mm thick (or cut if you're way more skilled than me!)
- Place your discs upright fairly tightly packed but leaving some 'sloping' room in a baking dish.
- Sprinkle with a good handful of chopped coriander and the crushed garlic - squish some between some of the layers.
- Salt & pepper as desired.
- Small drizzle of macadamia/olive oil.
- Cover with foil and bake at 200C for 40 mins.
- Remove foil, pour over the coconut cream then bake uncovered for another 25 mins.
- Sprinkle over more fresh herbs to serve.
- ** Tasted amazing reheated too.
This dish is simple enough for a mid-week side or looks good enough to serve at a dinner party. Great addition to a ‘bring a plate’ smorgasbord too. It would work with regular potatoes but might taste better with regular cream rather than the coconut cream.
So many variations come to mind too – you could add other herbs and spices, some lemon zest or even some crispy bacon and cheese, spring onions….
Enjoy your coconut cream baked sweet potato!