Baked sweet potato comes in many forms. If you’ve followed me for a while you’ll know how much I love sweet potato so I’m always keen for a new variation! I almost don’t even really think of this one as a ‘recipe’ as it’s so easy. It was inspired by a recipe from one of Yotam Ottolenghi’s cookbooks so I guess if it’s good enough for Ottolenghi, it’s good enough for me! You could make this with cream as Ottolenghi does but for a totally delicious dairy free option use coconut cream.
- 2-3 large sweet potatoes (or as many to fill your dish, mine was fairly large)
- 1-2 garlic cloves - crushed
- 1 bunch coriander or herb of your choice
- 300ml can of coconut cream
- Using a mandolin cut your sweet potato into discs roughly 3-5 mm thick (or cut if you're way more skilled than me!)
- Place your discs upright fairly tightly packed but leaving some 'sloping' room in a baking dish.
- Sprinkle with a good handful of chopped coriander and the crushed garlic - squish some between some of the layers.
- Salt & pepper as desired.
- Small drizzle of macadamia/olive oil.
- Cover with foil and bake at 200C for 40 mins.
- Remove foil, pour over the coconut cream then bake uncovered for another 25 mins.
- Sprinkle over more fresh herbs to serve.
- ** Tasted amazing reheated too.
This dish is simple enough for a mid-week side or looks good enough to serve at a dinner party. Great addition to a ‘bring a plate’ smorgasbord too. It would work with regular potatoes but might taste better with regular cream rather than the coconut cream.
So many variations come to mind too – you could add other herbs and spices, some lemon zest or even some crispy bacon and cheese, spring onions….
Enjoy your coconut cream baked sweet potato!
Sweet potato is one of my favourites. It’s really so easy and tasty. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Pat @ Wholesome Kitchen says
Um yummy. I love sweet potatoes. Will give this a go. Thank you!
This is so yummy! It has become a favourite side dish for us. I was looking for dairy free alternatives to creamy potatoes as our grandson has a serious dairy allergy, and this was a big success with the family. Thank you!
Thanks so much Caron for letting me know! I love it too, sweet potato and coconut… what’s not to love! Annabel