I love brunch. (Well actually there isn’t a meal I don’t like, but if had to pick a least fav it would be lunch.) I love breakfast too, so brunch in my mind is really just an excuse to eat breakfast a little bit later in the day! We were invited to friends for brunch today for Father’s Day and because I’ve inherited the inability to ‘bring nothing’ I thought scones would be a nice brunchy thing to bring. I did make a regular batch of jam & cream topped regular scones, but here is the gluten free version – not really like a jam & cream topped scone at all, but yummy none-the-less.
I had made similar scones a few years ago but couldn’t find the recipe, so after finding a few different ones online, I based mine on this Apple Scones recipe from Paleo Foodie.
- 2 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1&1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2-4 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 medium egg
- 1 -2 apples grated (1 large or 2 small)1. Preheat the oven to 170C.
2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Stir until combined into a batter.
4. Put small cookie sized mounds of the batter on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
5. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool, serve and enjoy!
Makes about 15