I don’t use purple cabbage all that much but when I added it to this salad, it just looked so gorgeous! I don’t know about you but I get into a rut with salads. After a while they are all very similar. That’s why this one is fun as it’s added another colour and with the grated beetroot and carrot there are a few textures too. You could just as easily serve it with a balsamic/lemon/olive oil style dressing. A few nuts or seeds sprinkled on top would be nice too.
Adjust quantities according to the number you want to feed. This one serves 3-4.
Toss all ingredients together:
- 2 handfuls mixed salad greens
- 1 large handful snow peas, chopped in half
- 1/2 beetroot, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
Serve with Pesto mayonnaise.
To make pesto mayonnaise, mixed equal proportions of pesto with mayonnaise and either serve on the side or toss the salad in the dressing for a more coleslaw style salad.
1 large bunch basil – leaves removed from stalks
1-2 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
Juice 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup almonds (or any nut of your choice – raw or roasted)
salt & pepper
Place all ingredients in food processor and blitz until finely chopped and a chunky paste is formed. You will probably want to taste and adjust flavours eg more lemon/salt and adjust for consistency with oil and even a bit of water if you want it a bit thinner.
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 egg
- salt & pepper
- 2-3 anchovies (optional)
- 3/4 cup olive oil (or macadamia or avocado)
- In a food processor or stick blender blitz the garlic, lemon juice, mustard, egg, s&p, anchovies and about 1/4 cup of the oil. Blitz until well combined.
- Then with the processor/stick blender going SLOWLY pour in the rest of the oil in a constant but gentle trickle. Keep going until the oil isn’t absorbed anymore – if it won’t ‘blend’ in anymore, just stop adding the oil.
- Taste and season again if needed. Refrigerate.