Yesterday my lovely friend Sharon (she’s my naturopath too) came down to the Gold Coast to come with me to my doctor’s appointment. For me I need to keep a regular check on my thyroid and general auto-immune health which means a quarterly appointment with my brilliant holistic doctor Dr Elen Apthomas. Taking Sharon with me was very helpful as she could use her kinesiology skills to further help Elen understand what’s going on in my body and how best to treat with additional input, not just blood tests. It was a pretty rare opportunity to have both my regular health care practitioners treat me simultaneously! So grateful. We went out for lunch at a little cafe (Base) not far from the doctor and this is what Sharon had, paleo chicken schnitzel, so it was perfect timing to try to recreate the meal!
The crumb is pretty versatile – works with ‘nuggets’, fish or even veal. You could replace the LSA with straight almond meal.
- ⅓ cup coconut flour (extra)
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp milk of your choice
- 500-600g chicken breast schnitzel pieces
- ½ cup LSA mix (linseed, sunflower, almond) or almond meal
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan (optional, omit for perfect paleo)
- small bunch thyme
- 1-2 springs of rosemary
- few chilli flakes
- salt & pepper
- oil for shallow frying
- Get out 3 bowls large enough to dip each piece of chicken in.
- In bowl #1 put the "extra" coconut flour.
- In bowl #2 whisk the egg and milk.
- In bowl #3 mix the remaining ingredients (not the chicken!).
- Take each piece of chicken and coat it on all sides in each bowl in order, ie dust in flour, dip in egg wash then coat in the coating. Place coated piece on a plate. Repeat for each piece of chicken.
- Heat oil (macadamia, ghee, olive oil, coconut) in non stick fry pan over med-high heat. Place chicken in pan and cook for about 4 mins on each side. You might need to use a spatula to turn so the crumbs don't stick to the pan.
- Serve with Coleslaw or side of your choice.
- Serves 4-6
Coleslaw with paleo mayonnaise
You can use more cabbage if you want a traditional coleslaw, this was my twist…
- 1 cup sunflower sprouts
- 3-4 silverbeet leaves
- 1/4 purple cabbage
- 1 apple
- 1 carrot
- paleo mayonnaise (below – sneak peak into the cookbook!)
- Shred silverbeet, finely chop cabbage, spiralise (or finely slice) apple and carrot.
- Place all salad ingredients in a bowl and toss.
- You can either dress with the mayonnaise in the salad bowl or serve the mayo in a bowl for people to add their own.
- Serve with the schnitzel.