Here’s an idea for tomorrow morning’s breakfast… a green smoothie. I know, they are all the rage, basically because it’s a palatable way of eating a lot more of the leafy greens we are all ‘meant’ to eat. My husband and I have been having them for breakfast for the last few months and they certainly add a lot of fiber (!) to your diet and feel like fresh and clean way to start the day. You can hide all sorts of things in them too (eg Vital Greens or other vitamin powders, nuts, seeds). The options are endless, but here is a good basic recipe you can add/adapt.
- 2-3 large handfuls of mixed green leaves (we usually use different varieties of kale, silverbeet, chard, english spinach, beetroot leaves etc)
- 3/4 cup coconut water/milk/almond milk (you can have water but I like more flavour)
- 5-6 cubes of frozen mango/ handful frozen berries (then it’s not green though!)
- 1 banana (fresh or frozen of you want it thicker)
- handful ice cubes
- 1/4 cup kefir yogurt (optional)
- 2 scoops plain protein powder