What are essential oils?
I used to think that essential oils were just smelly things for your bathroom and because I’m not someone that loves scents I had dismissed them. It’s only been relatively recently that I’ve become aware of the many many health benefits of essential oils and a whole host of different ways they can be used.
Essential oils are highly concentrated pure extracts from plants that are 50-70 times for powerful than herbs. Essential oils have been used throughout history (think about Jesus being brought frankicense and myrrh) for their health benefits!
As someone who is very open to holistic health and inspiring wellness, it is these benefits that have drawn me to learning, reading and experimenting with using essential oils! I must admit I am now somewhat addicted and have been enjoying the aromatic use of them as well – I think perhaps because they are pure and not synthetic fragrances, that I know enjoy having them diffusing in my home!
I have also been cooking with them which naturally appeals to me! You have probably noticed a number of recipes now including references to essential oils. You can find the collection of recipes using essential oils here. So far, this is my favourite I think, made with lemon, lime & wild orange… Citrus essential oil cake
How to use essential oils?
While these products are completely natural, they still need to be used in an appropriate manner. These are some of the ways I am using them:
- I am cooking with them – especially in raw food to maintain the therapeutic benefits e.g. bliss balls, salad dressings but also in marinades, cakes. I’ve mostly been using lemon, peppermint, cinnamon & wild orange.
- In my water – I add a few drops of the Smart & Sassy (AKA Slim & Sassy) blend to my water bottle – makes me drink more water and it has oils that are good for your metabolism e.g. ginger, peppermint & cinnamon.
- I’m using a blend of frankincense, lemongrass and peppermint mixed with jojoba oil as a moisturiser and to rub on my thyroid as a health support.
- I use the IceBlue rub on my sore feet at night and also on my neck & shoulders. It gives a nice cooling sensation.
- I’ve been adding drops of essential oils into my moisturiser and rubbing it on my arms and legs.
- Added into a sugar body scrub for exfoliating and moisturising in the shower!
- Putting a drop or 2 of ‘Balance’ on my wrists in the afternoons around homework time!
- Whilst I’m not a huge ‘smells’ person, Leigh is and he’s loving having different scents floating around the house! I’ve been diffusing the ‘purify’ blend in the boys rooms to get rid of ‘boy’ smell, diffusing the Elevation blend mixed with peppermint while I work as it’s stimulating and refreshing. Lavender at night…
In household cleaning:
I’m not someone who loves cleaning here are some of the things I’ve been using:
- Lemon mixed with bicarb soda to scrub up the stainless steel sinks
- Few drops of lemon oil instead of rinsed in the dishwasher
- Lemon, lavender and/or purify in with my laundry detergent for a fresher washing smell.
- Lemon oil to remove the ‘stickiness’ when you peel a label off a glass jar.
Here are a couple of downloadable lists too:
Which essential oils should I use?
Not all essential oils are created equal. What you want to look for are essential oils that are 100% pure – no fillers or diluters, no added fragrances. If you are wanting to cook with essential oils you need to make sure that you buy food grade essential oils and not just oils that are suitable for aromatherapy only.
You may wish to do your own research but look for top grade oils to get the most benefit.
How do I buy dōTERRA essential oils?
1. Retail – This is NOT the recommended way to buy, but if you really want to buy retail I will have a couple of oils available in my online store.
2. Wholesale – The best way to buy at the cheapest prices is to open a dōTERRA wholesale membership account if you haven’t already – it’s a bit like having a Costco account. To join costs $35. This is waived if you buy one of the starter kits when you sign up (my regret is not doing that!).
As a wholesale member (Wellness Advocate), you’ll enjoy:
What should I buy?
There are 2 main ways to go about buying doTERRA essential oils.
- Buy a starter kit (membership fee waived) – pictured below – these are the Australian Kits. Contact me directly for international kits. The most popular kit is the Home Essentials Kit because you get the top 10 oils in the full 15ml size (except Ice Blue only comes in 5ml) + the gorgeous diffuser. Add a Fractionated coconut nut oil for $16.50 and your set for topical application too.
- Choose your own oily adventure – pay $35 membership fee and choose your own oils.
Here are all the starter kits:
CHOOSE YOUR OWN OILY ADVENTURE
You might like to pick & choose the oils/products for yourself. This is completely fine. All you need to do is open a wholesale account ($35) and then choose the oils/products you’d like. I can help you choose ones that might help where you’re at too if you need pointing in the right direction. Just send me an email, email@example.com and I’ll get back to you.
TO GET STARTED IS REALLY EASY…
- If you are from outside Australia you can still buy from doTERRA (they are global), just choose your country!
- Go to http://mydoterra.com/whatannabelcooks
- Click the tab ‘Join & Save’
- Choose the OTG local warehouse
- Choose wholesale PRICES (not customer) option – will give you more options down the track.
- Choose the kit you want or choose the $35 enrolment option & then type in the names of the oils you want.
- Follow the prompts.
- Wait with anticipation for them to arrive!
How can I find out more?
Go here, for more info on getting started with doTERRA.
- You can call me (0409076040) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and have a chat about essential oils and how they might help you. Or I can contact you:
- Depending on where you live, we can discuss getting together so that you can see, touch, taste and smell the oils for yourself!
- You can host a party at your place – there are a few options as to what kind of party you might like – e.g. Intro to Essential Oils, Cooking bliss balls with essential oils or make your own sugar scrub – it’s a whole lot of fun!
- You can join my Facebook Essential Oils group – very informal space to share information, recipes or ask questions about essential oils.
If you have any questions, please let me know!