The idea of ‘instant’ anything is appealing, isn’t it? Let’s face it, if there’s a short cut, we want it. If we can avoid the waiting/work/developing patience, we want it, or is it just me? I had pretty much given up ‘bircher museli’ as I don’t eat grains (including oats), so you know, it’s hard to ‘soak’ non-grains. I guess I could soak the nuts & seeds but I like crunch too, so I’d rather eat my muesli crunchy. This recipe is a win win win. No waiting, no grains and no sog. There is still crunch! Occasionally ‘instant’ works AND is good for you. This bircher muesli recipe is perfect for the thermomix or blender.
I came across this idea from Cyndi O’Mara of Changing Habits recently when I was buying some more of her turmeric & cinnamon (they are such fabulous quality). In her online shop I came across some dates she sells and when I kept reading, I found her recipe she calls CADA (Coconut Apple Dates Almonds). This is my very simple take on that recipe. – As with her recipe, you really can add lots of other bits & pieces to it should you wish – I think I’m going to be making this one regularly, so some of my ideas for the future are listed below the recipe.
The recipe could feed 2 but I was being greedy and ate the whole thing.
- 1 handful of shredded coconut (I like mine toasted)
- 1 small apple, core removed
- 2 fresh dates - medjool or deglet noor (Changing Habits variety)
- 1 handful almonds (activated is better)
- 1 spoonful of your favourite yoghurt (optional)
- Sprinkle of bee pollen (optional)
- Drizzle of pumpkin seed oil (optional)
- Place all ingredients in your Thermomix. Pulse 4-6 times depending on how chunky you like it.
- If you don't have a Thermomix, pulse in a blender or food processor.
- Scoop into your bowl and decorate as you wish.
Optional add-ins or add-ons:
- sunflower seeds
- hemp seeds
- 1/2 banana (or switch apple for frozen banana)
- drizzle honey
- other dried fruit
- blueberries, strawberries – any berry!
- chia seeds
- any other nut you’d like – I think macadamia’s would work really well.
- the list is probably endless!
Thanks Cyndi, I can’t wait to try your dates in this recipe next time.
Leave a Reply