Even though Spring is over, Spring Lamb is still in your local butcher! I’ve been cooking slow roasted lamb shoulder a bit lately! It’s so soft & tender and falls off the bone. Perfect for a traditional ‘roast’ or lighten it up with a fresh spring salad! The options are endless for spices you can use to season the lamb..but I’ve kept it really simple this time with a ready made ‘Aussie Roast’ blend (rosemary, pepper, salt, celery seed, thyme, garlic, onion & allspice) with a bit of added fresh rosemary & thyme. Sometimes we just need to keep it really easy don’t we? It’s last week of term here for my family so with lots of nights out and things to do, simple is good. This would also be perfect on your Christmas spread or store it away for Australia Day!
Slow Roasted Lamb Shoulder Recipe
Ingredients – Lamb
- 1 lamb shoulder on the bone approx 2-2.5kg
- 1 onion
- 1 sweet potato
- 1-2 tbsp herbs and spices (I used ‘Aussie Roast’ by Your Inspirations at Home)
- drizzle oil
- *optional – doTERRA essential oils eg lemon, rosemary, black pepper and fennel.
Ingredients – Salad
- 4 kale leaves, stems removed
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 red cabbage
- 12 slow roasted/semi-dried tomatoes
- 1 carrot – julienned
Directions – Lamb
- Pre heat oven to 160C
- Slice onion and sweet potato into rounds. Place on the bottom of a roasting dish. Sprinkle with a little bit of the herb & spice mix.
- Place the lamb shoulder on top of the onions/sweet potato. Drizzle with a small amount of oil and rub the rest of the herb & spice mix into the lamb.
- Cover with lid or foil and cook at 160C for 90 mins then reduce temperature to 140C and cook for the remaining 3 hours or until tender and falling off the bone.
- Serve on vegetables or salad of your choice.
Directions – Salad
- Remove the kale from the stems and finely chop. Rub some oil through the kale to soften the leaves.
- Finely slice or shred the red cabbage. Check out the blue shredder which is perfect for this job.
- Julienne or grate the carrot. The green julienne peeler is great for this.
- Toss all ingredients together and serve with the lamb.
*only use food grade essential oils when cooking like the doTERRA ones that I sell. Check out this link for more info about cooking with essential oils.