2kg-ish whole duck, rinsed
1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger root
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coconut aminos/tamari/soy
2 cups water
1 cup honey
1/2 cup coconut oil/olive oil/butter
1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 175C/350F.
- In a small bowl mix together mix together the basil, ginger, salt and 1/4C coconut aminos or substitute and rub mixture all over the duck. Place it into a roasting dish with a lid.
- Add water.
- In a small saucepan combine the honey, coconut oil/butter, lemon juice and remaining 1/4 C coconut aminos. Simmer together over low heat until syrupy; pour a little of the mixture over the duck, saving the rest for basting. Cover dish.
- Bake/roast duck for 30 minutes. Turn duck breast down, reduce heat to 150C/300F and roast covered for another 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until very tender. If desired, turn duck breast up during last few minutes of cooking, to brown.
- Once removed and cooled slightly you can pull all the meat of the carcass.
- Serve with side of your choice (eg warm sweet potato and herb salad) and pour over some of the syrup.
Serves about 4-6.
NB: I made this ahead of time and once I removed all the meat and got rid of the carcass, I left the juices/fat in the pan, and put it in the fridge for a few hours. The fat the solidified and I scraped the fat off, threw it out and then put the meat back in the juice to warm just before serving.
NB for AIP or paleo use the coconut aminos and coconut/olive oil.
Leave a Reply