These lemon coconut passionfruit tarts are perfects for when you’re following the auto-immune protocol (AIP) as there isn’t much you can eat in the way of ‘treats’. It is an elimination diet, and to be honest I guess the idea is that you also eliminate the ‘need’ for sugar and treats etc. But being the sweet tooth that I am, I was excited to come across this recipe for lemon blueberry cupcakes that I could actually eat!
You do need a high speed blender/food processor or thermomix for this recipe. I found it completely fascinating watching the desiccated coconut turn into a batter (coconut ‘butter’ I guess).
Without further ado, here is the recipe, and you can even check out my instructional video #2. If you missed the first one, here it is.
Lemon coconut passionfruit tarts:
- 3 cups unsweetened desiccated or shredded coconut
- Zest of one lemon
- flesh of the lemon used for the zest.
- ½ cup maple syrup/coconut palm syrup (maple is AIP, not sure about coconut palm but is has a very low GI)
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 passionfruit (or 1/2 cup berries to top)
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C(fan forced)/350F. Line 8 muffin cups with liners. Or use mini muffins (makes about 20)…
- Place the unsweetened coconut in a blender/food processor.
- Blend on high until the coconut starts to turn into a paste (about 1-2mins), scrape down sides and blend again until it is like a batter – not too thick.
- Add the zest, lemon, maple syrup and sea salt. Process until it comes together.
- Add the baking soda, and process just until incorporated.
- Divide batter into muffin cups. Sprinkle with passionfruit pulp or berries.
- Bake for 25-27 minutes (larger ones, or 15-20mins for minis). You want them to be a little toasty but not burnt.
- Chill in the fridge before taking them out of the pan.
- Best served chilled for the best consistency.