This Hot Sweet & Salty Nuts recipe is a crowd pleaser. I first came across them at a wedding and have made it each Christmas since. It also comes out for larger drinks and nibbles parties and is loved by everyone. Also perfect for a blokes night. I served these at a blokes essential oils class and again they were a hit. The original recipe comes from the Union Square Bar in New York. I have added some doTERRA essential oils to really have a flavour burst, but they are tasty without them too! You can play around with your ‘hot’ (cayenne pepper/ black pepper/paprika), ‘sweet’ (sugar/maple syrup/cinnamon) ‘salty’ (try different kinds of salt?) and other herbs & spices. You’ll have everyone wanting to nibble your hot sweet salty nuts in no time! 😉
- 2-3 cups mixed raw nuts
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (the 'hot')IMG_0134
- 2 tsp brown sugar/coconut sugar or maple syrup (the 'sweet')
- 2 tsp Maldon or other sea salt (the 'salty')
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter (or use ghee for strict paleo/dairy free option)
- + optional essential oils to really make the flavours pop - try 2 drops black pepper, 2 drops fennel, 2 drops rosemary, 2 drops cinnamon & 1 drop cardamom. Only use food grade essential oils in your cooking. I use doTERRA essential oils
- Roast the nuts on a baking tray in the oven (180C) for 10 mins.
- Melt the butter in a large bowl and stir in the hot, sweet and salty!
- Add the essential oils just before mixing through the nuts.
- Toss the nuts in the butter mix.
- Serve warm.
Leave a Reply