Can’t believe we’re on the fast train to Christmas! Stay tuned for upcoming Christmas recipes and treats. For those who receive these blog posts via email, you might want to consider following me on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest as I often post quick photos, short recipes and bits and pieces on those formats as it’s easier than writing and publishing a whole blog post 😉
I came up with this recipe whilst trying to think of a natural, high protein energy boost for my oldest child (11) who is very fussy and has had glandular fever and really needs an energy boost from time to time. Surprisingly he loves these little balls. I really like them too – they have a fudgy consistency. They also cater for most food intolerances 😉
fudgy chocolate protein balls
- 10 fresh dates (pitted)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp raw cacao + extra for rolling
- 1/4-1/3 cup cacao butter – melted (you could try coconut oil instead but they will be much softer)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1& 1/4 cups protein powder of choice (use a DF one like pea protein for DF)
- 1/4 cup water
- Blitz dates in food processor until finely chopped.
- Add rest of ingredients until it forms a thick paste.
- Refrigerate for about 20 mins so it’s not so sticky.
- Roll heaped teaspoon sized scoops into balls then roll in extra cacao – this will help with the stickiness. I have rested them in mini muffin tins until a bit firmer to help hold their shape
Makes about 20 balls.
Your hands will get very sticky rolling these balls, you may need to wash them a couple of times during the process!