I have just returned home a few days ago from a fantastic family holiday in Japan. I have been saying for months now that when I get back from Japan, I’ll do the AIP (auto immune protocol) elimination diet ‘properly’. Well now the time has come so I spent the afternoon yesterday gearing up for my start today. This is one of my ‘concoctions’: coconut kefir yoghurt. It’s super easy and tastes good given there is no sugar or fruit added. I’ve made it before but now I have my high speed blender the consistency is MUCH better. Also this time I added coconut milk instead of coconut water and it’s made it much creamier. I added mine to my morning smoothie this morning and it tasted delicious.
Here is the recipe!
* This recipe makes about 1/2 litre (my jar is 650ml).
- flesh of 3 young coconuts
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- kefir starter (click here for the one I used – you can buy them in Australia)
- Chop the top off the coconut with the butt of your knife (this is the hardest part of the whole recipe) and pour out the coconut water (use this to make coconut water kefir – recipe coming soon- or just drink/add to smoothie, don’t waste it!).
- Scrap out the flesh and put it into a blender.
- Add about 1/2 cup coconut milk – you can add more or less depending on how think you want it.
- Add your yoghurt starter.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into glass jar and cover.
- Leave on the bench over night, or for about 12 hours then refridgerate.
* you can use 2-3 Tbsp from the first batch to mix in with the next batch as your ‘starter’ – they say you should do this within 3 days for the best results.