If you’re looking for a dinner party hit, here it is. No one will notice the lack of gluten!
Chocolate almond torte
- 1 cup ground almonds (almond meal)
- 4 large eggs – separated (room temperature)
- 200g dark chocolate
- 150g unsalted butter (I suspect you could use coconut oil for DF)
- 150g (3/4C) white sugar (or better sugar alternative eg coconut palm sugar)
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4tsp cream tartar
- cream/ice-cream/berries for serving.
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F and line a 20cm/8″ springform tin.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a stainless steel bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Once melted, remove from heat.
- Place eggs yolks and 1/2C/100g of the sugar in a bowl and mix with your electric mixer until pale and thick.
- Beat in the melted chocolate & butter, vanilla.
- Fold in the almond meal.
- In a clean bowl whisk the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and keep whisking until soft peaks form. Gradually sprinkle the remaining 1/4C/50g sugar and whisk until stiff peaks.
- Quickly and gently fold the egg white mix into the chocolate mix.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake 40-50 mins until cooked. The top will ‘drop’ and crack as it cools.
- Serve warm or cold with berries and cream/ice-cream.
Enjoy! The original recipe can be found at Joy of Baking.
Oh my. That looks delicious!!