Making chutneys and relishes is not something I’ve done a whole lot of, so I was quite excited when I made beetroot relish! This is the second batch and I’m happy to report that both have been a success. To cut out refined sugar I have replaced sugar with xylitol and a little maple syrup. I think you could easily reduce the quantities of each of these by up to a half if you’re after a less sweet relish.
Beetroot relish is perfect on a hamburger, condiment to a perfectly cooked steak, chicken or even a little tossed in a salad.
- 4-5 (500g) beetroot
- 1 onion
- 1 green apple
- 1 heaped tsp golden paste (optional)
- ½ cup (110g) balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ lemon - juiced
- ¾ cup xylitol
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- Thermomix Instructions:
- Peel & quarter beetoot, onion and apple. Chop sp7/5 sec.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook on Varoma/ sp1/ 30 mins with the cap removed and basket resting on top.
- Regular instructions:
- Peel beetroot, apple and onion.
- Grate beetroot & apple.
- Dice onion.
- Place all ingredients in a large saucepan over a med-high heat. Bring to the boil then simmer over med heat for about 30 mins. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and store in glass jars in the fridge.
And with my fussiest eater who was happy to pose for a photo but is unlikely to eat it!!