Looking for a healthy gluten free KFC style mid week chicken meal that appeals to adults & kids alike? Look no further. This is a family winner!
It’s true. It’s gluten free KFC healthy style. I was never really one for KFC unless pregnant but those secret herbs & spices always tasted so good.
I came up with this recipe after a friend told me about (I Quit Sugar’s) Sarah Wilson’s KFC (kid friendly chicken) recipe. I followed Sarah’s recipe for some drumsticks and then came up with this version. I have done something similar in the past but I think the secret to this one is soaking the chicken thighs in buttermilk (totally Sarah’s idea). I have made this with both buttermilk bought from the supermarket and also with the whey left over from making cream cheese + a little extra milk).
In the original recipe (link above), the recommendation is to marinade for 3-8hrs. The first time I did it for about 24 hours and that worked perfectly too.
The crumb is what make’s it a gluten free KFC style dish. It’s almond meal (left over from making almond milk!), tapioca flour, secret herbs & spices (mostly salt, Sri Lankan curry mix & paprika).
I have served it with Bacon Zoodles & crispy sweet potato and also a roasted potato & sweet potato and a coleslaw style salad. Both were Yummmmmmm.It could equally just be served with a nice fresh salad or steamed veggies.
Finger lickn’ good 😄👍
Gluten Free KFC Recipe
- 1 kg chicken thighs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp mustard (I’ve used both Dijon & wholegrain)
- 3/4 cup almond meal (left over from making almond milk, or bought)
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 2 tsp Sri Lankan Coconut Spice Mix*(or herbs & spices of your choice)
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt & pepper
- oil spray
- Soak chicken thighs in buttermilk & mustard for at least 3 hours.
- In a zip lock bag put the rest of the ingredients and shake to mix (or do in a bowl).
- Remove each thigh from the marinade and one at a time toss to coat in the crumb mix.
- Spread the thighs out on a large oven tray lined with baking paper & spray with olive/coconut oil (or drizzle).
- Bake at 200C (fan forced) for about 30 mins.
Serve with side of your choice.
*If you purchase this product, I do make a profit from it.